Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sevylor Floats

Today's discussion:  Sevylor Floats

Many a summer during my childhood was spent at Harry Wright Lake.  And what would a trip to the Lake be without floatation devices?  In 1992 Gram and Pop went to Clover, a discount department store which no longer exists, to get some rafts for us.  They picked up two blue tubes (that could be used in cold or hot weather) and two rafts.  Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the red and blue raft they got us.  It does still exist though.  Taking a picture of it would have involved me blowing up the raft and my lungs weren't up to the challenge today.  Here is an image of the box holding the blue tube:
They picked a rather chunky child to model the tube.  I don't think I took up that much room in the tube until I was 12.  This tube was particularly awesome to flip.  If you swam under the person in the tube then lifted up from below, they'd flip head first into the waters below.  I'm really glad Gram kept the prices and years on things so that years later we could know how much things cost. According to the box, G + P spent $9.99 on this in 1992.


My ultimate favorite flotation device though, was the kick board.
Not only did this kick board have tropical birds emblazened across the front, it had a window so one could view the fishies below.  Dope.   According to the box, G + P spent $19.99 on this in 1992.  This price would make the kick board TOTL (Top of the Line) in 1992. 

The front and back of the box show small children enjoying the fun of the kick board.  The side is a bit more risque, displaying a bikini clad broad. 
The high-thighed bikini is indicative of the era. 
Considering all of these floats still exist 18 years later and that they were used for at least 10 of those 18 years, I'd say that these were high quality devices for all ages and should be used again whenever the next opportunity arises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment