Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hey Look, Another Video! Super Twist

As promised, here is a video of the Super Twist in action.  As stated in previous posts, the Super Twist was a ride at Water Works in Seaside Heights, New Jersey.  For a full description of my first encounter with the Super Twist, read this

The video does a good job of showing the start and end of the Super Twist pipes, but the rest of the ride is obstructed by the Octopus (more on that in a later post), so I'm providing this still shot to give my readers a better idea of how the Super Twist traversed the park:


That's the Super Twist in the background at the top of the frame as it was in 1988.  One can see how it acquired its name.  I'm pretty sure it didn't change at all during its existence.  The Super Twist met its demise when Water Works was purchased by Jenkinsons (of the Point Pleasant, NJ boardwalk fame).  Jenkinsons converted the park to a more "family friendly" water park.  They took out most of the existing slides and pipes and replaced them with weaker excuses for water slides.  Although Breakwater Beach (the name of the renovated park) was probably safer, it was geared towards small children and therefore less fun.  Honestly, what's a trip to a water park without the risk of injury?  And as I'm sure you've read in my previous post, the Super Twist provided every opportunity to get banged up.  And now, without further ado, the Super Twist:


Ok, so this video is a bit dullsville, but I wanted my readers to have access to any Water Works material I can provide, since the web is nearly devoid of it.  My hope is that it helps others to reminisce about their experiences at Water Works.  I should note that I have no blood or friendly relations with the short-trunked fellow exiting the pipe at the end of this video.  Thank god.  I know it was the 1980s, but have some common sense man.  Short swim trunks = bad.  Also, my mom, the fabulous camerawoman and narrator in this video, mentions that the ride is called the "Twister."  I'm not so sure about that because I always recall it being known as the "Super Twist."  Perhaps someone can verify.

2 comments:

  1. It was definitely the super twist. Mom likes to call things by the wrong name

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, that guy is wearing a naked swimsuit...bad choice

    ReplyDelete