Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Newsies

One word:  NEWSIES



Newsies was a highly underrated Walt Disney creation released in 1992.  It was my favorite movie back then, and is still probably in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.  The movie is a musical that takes place in 1899, highlighting the lives of the "newsies" or news boys of NYC.  The main character, Jack "Cowboy" Kelley was played by none other than Christian Bale.  I love most of Christian Bale's work, but this has got to be his best.  It's pre- "I'm Batman" days for Bale, which is a good thing, because ever since Batman Begins, Bale likes to throw his creepy, deep "Batman voice" into his characters. There is none of that in Newsies.  Bale does, however, attempt a pretty terrible New York accent with lines like New "Joisey" and never "hoid of him,"but Bale wasn't the only culprit to do that in this movie, so I'll let that slide.  

Bale was not the only big name in this movie. Other cast members included Bill Pullman (as the newspaper reporter Bryan Denton who champions the Newsies), Ann-Margret (as the hooker-esque Medda Larkson, the "Swedish Meadowlark"), and Robert Duvall (as the ruthless Joseph Pulitzer).  Another notable was Max Casella (you know, Doogie Howser's best friend), as Racetrack Higgins.

I just watched the Newsies VHS this weekend, and wow, is this movie still fantastic.  I felt the urge to sing along to every song (of course I still know every lyric to every song).  I think my favorite might be the little known "Once and For All" song they sing in the background as they're slyly using Joe Pulitzer's press to print the newsboys' "pape."  Also, I can't help smiling when the hoards of child laborers turn the corner during the "Seize the Day" reprise. Oh, and for those of us from NJ, you gotta love that they rhyme Denton with Trenton during "King of New York."

My sister and I spent countless hours one summer creating our own dance to "Carrying the Banner."  Whenever possible, we included the original dance moves and incorporated newspaper props.  I recall attempting the move where one person bends in half and the other person rolls over her back, but I'm 99% sure that was unsuccessful.  I swear we video taped our dance one time when we performed it at Gram's house.  I also recall a bulldog interference at some point, but god I wish I knew where that video was.

Here are some little known facts about the film*:

It was originally intended as a drama, not a musical.

Most of the characters are based on real people, although Jack Kelley is fictional. 

At the time, Newsies was the lowest grossing live action film in Disney history.  And here is where I insert my commentary:  I have no clue how this movie did so poorly.  Every person I have ever talked to that has seen it, loves it.  No one is watching this movie for historical accuracy.  So what if in real life, by 1899 Joseph Pulitzer was blind?  And so what if the real Newsies strike of 1899 wasn't all that successful?  The soundtrack is phenomenal and the storyline is entertaining to adults while still be kid-friendly.  Newsies did, however, become more popular after it was released on VHS and the Disney channel started playing it fairly regularly in the mid-1990s.  I believe it was about this time when I went 2 straight weeks during which I watched the VHS every day.



I purchased the DVD for $6.00 on Amazon.com yesterday.  I cannot wait for its arrival.  I'm gonna go ahead and say that is probably the best $6.00 I ever spent. 



For those of you who love this movie as much as I do, you'll be happy to know that Newsies is coming to Broadway this spring.  Alan Menken is doing the music (just as he did for the movie), and he's added a few new songs.  Too bad the original cast is now too old to participate, but I have no doubt the Broadway show will be a hit.




*http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104990/trivia

3 comments:

  1. A Newsies musical sounds awesome. We must purchase tickets. I need to re-watch this...maybe during Grant's naps (don't think it's an Eamonn friendly movie).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, as soon as the dvd arrives, you are more than welcome to borrow it. And you'll definitely be notified when Broadway tickets go on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love this movie. The soundtrack is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete